11.2.14

If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up.

So, on a lighter note compared to my last post, I thought I would throw out some more cast iron love. :)  I know I'm not all fancy like the Pioneer Woman with immaculate photos, so I'll work on that eventually. For now, I'll have to paint you a word picture with one photo I took with my iPhone because I wanted to instagram it. Yes. I just said that.  

When I am reasoning a skillet, I have a few go to recipes that I like to use. Number one is anything with bacon, of course. There is nothing like bacon grease for seasoning cast iron. If you are vegan or vegetarian, there is still hope. Try broiling root veggies in coconut oil. It's delicious. I'll put up that recipe soon, but for all the carnivores out there... or fishavores (Piscivore if we want to get technical) salmon is a great to cook in cast iron. It's nice and oily, and the cast iron is great for transitioning from the stove top to finishing the salmon under the broiler to crisp up the skin. Not to mention, Salmon is my last name (although we pronounce it saL-mon... not because we are rednecks, but because we weren't named after the fish.) So, yeah, perfect recipe to open with. :)

When I first thought about the skin on a fish i was like... wow. That's gross. But watching the food network makes you change your mind because you realize that is what real chefs do. They cook it to perfection and then they eat it. So, if you are aspiring to throw down with Bobby Flay at any point in your life, I suggest you love the skin. 

I have found that frozen salmon doesn't cook as well and doesn't have the skin on. If you are working on seasoning your skillet, you definitely want to go with fresh. 


  • The fist thing is go ahead and turn your oven to broil. That way it's warmed and ready to finish your salmon without having to heat up while your salmon sits in it's oil. Plus, cast iron retains heat so it is still going to be in cook mode when you put it under the broiler, and you don't want to end up overcooking your fish. 



  • Next, put your skillet on the eye on medium heat. I like to season my salmon with salt and pepper, paprika,and I add some coconut oil to the skillet while it is warming. Just a little... and for the taste. The salmon is oily enough on it's own, but if you want to add a little butter for flavor, that's fine. I love it with coconut oil, and a small dab of butter or coconut oil can help you gage when your skillet is ready. When the oil/butter melts, looks clear, and is just beginning to sizzle a little lay your salmon in the pan. 





  • Start with the skin side down, and cook for three to four minutes. Then flip it over. With skin side up, depending on how thick your cut is, you are going to want to cook for 3-5 minutes. Watch the middle of the thickest part. You're looking for it to change color and get kind of shiny. It' will still be slightly darker than the flesh around it. 


  • Then grab your pot holder and stick it in the oven. You want to leave it there till the skin puckers just a little and looks crispy. Pull it from the oven and admire your amazing skill. Lift and serve. 


And eat.  

The brilliant part is the clean up. I like to let my skillet cool down slowly, and then I wipe out all of the oil with a paper towel. You can rinse under tepid water and dry thoroughly with a paper towel if you want, but remember WE WANT THIS OIL. When you are drying it off, it should still seem a oily. Don't do any scrubbing or it's just going to pull off some of your seasoning. After you've dried it put it back on the eye and turn crank the heat up to high. Let the skillet heat up with the eye and as soon as it gets hot, turn it off, remove from the eye, and let it cool down slowly. You just killed a ton of germs and barely had to wash a dish. You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment